Do you want to use a business name that differs from your full name or the name of your corporation? Then, you will need to register that business name. Business names are registered with the Companies and Personal Property Security Branch (CPPSB) of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS) and are placed on the Public Record maintained by CPPSB for public disclosure.
Who Must Register Under the Business Names Act?
The Ontario Business Names Act applies to:
▪ sole proprietorships (one owner) carrying on business under a name other than the individual’s full name;
▪ partnerships carrying on business under a firm name other than the full names of the partners;
▪ corporations carrying on business under a name other than their corporate name;
▪ an existing general partnership or limited partnership registering a business name different from the registered firm name;
▪ limited liability partnerships;
▪ extra-provincial limited liability partnerships; and
▪ extra-provincial limited liability companies
ESC provides following Business Name Registration/Renewal Services:
Ontario Business Name Registration (Sole Proprietor, General Partnership, Corporation)
Ontario Business Name Renewal
Ontario Limited Liability Partnership/Extra-Provincial Limited Liability Partnership/Company
Ontario Partnership/Limited Partnership
Ontario Limited Partnership Declarations
WSIB and EHT Applications
Nationwide Business Name Registrations/Filings
For detailed information on any of Business Name Registration/ Renewal services.